Cleanly is a newly developed flagship product by Lobeslab Limited. This product is a web-based application that focuses on data organisation for surveys. Its optimised processes will help prepare and re-organise the said data in an ideal format for data visualisations. This product has been initially developed for Esprimi, a company specialising in market research, that required our services to improve their workflow, together with their final deliverable.
What does Cleanly do?
Cleanly is an easy and straightforward way to efficiently clean your survey responses with its efficient background processes. Some of the available functionalities include:
- categorisation of different projects in one single repository
- straightforward import of survey responses
- changing and renaming survey questions and response data in preparation for data files and reports
- sorting of responses
- joining of questions
- the categorisation of survey questions depending on content and context
- status notifications management
- the possibility to collaborate with other users on designated projects
- the ability to visualise interactive results
After using Cleanly the data can be exported in a way that is fit for data visualisation purposes. Simply plug into your preferred data reporting tool to generate insightful data visualisations.
When will Cleanly come in handy?
Cleanly will work on the spreadsheet files generated by your data collection tool such as Google Surveys, Microsoft Forms, Alchemer, Qualtrics Core XM, SurveyMonkey, Doodle or any other standard online data collection service. Cleanly will help you to prepare the data for the next step.
Who should consider Cleanly?
Cleanly is intended for individuals or organisations handling survey data who wish to take their data visualisation to the next level. Cleanly currently follows through, after your data collection process but stay tuned as we are working on providing a holistic solution to your research needs.
To take advantage of our introductory offer. Use Cleanly for free by registering on https://cleanly.lobeslab.com/
The Cleanly walkthrough
In this section, we will go through a simple walkthrough of Cleanly. We will make use of a survey response spreadsheet file generated from Google Forms. The data file contains survey questions related to Health in Malta.
Importing data into Cleanly
After logging into Cleanly, we created a category named Health and Malta as its subcategory. Project creation follows and the project title, project date, category, subcategory and the actual survey response file are required.
This simple process will create the project within Cleanly. The time required for project creation depends on the size and complexity of the survey response . Once completed, the user will be notified via the in-built notification system. Efficiency in the data loading stage is one of the advantages of Cleanly.
User collaboration in Cleanly
Within organisations, it is common for people to work together on a collaborative project. Cleanly has an incorporated feature which allows registered users to collaborate on projects. Project collaboration allows team members to work and supervise each other. Adding new members to a project requires just the email address. Users who are added as collaborators to a project are notified via the internal notification system.
The above shows that the Health Malta 2021 project has Luke Vella Critien as the project owner and Alan Gatt as a collaborator.
Cleaning survey responses using Cleanly
After creating the project and loading the data, Cleanly automatically attempts to categorise the survey questions. The user is allowed to change the suggested categories using any of the following: ID, Demographics, Response, Exclude, Session, and Common.
The above shows the first seven questions in the survey response file.
- The first row contains a unique value for each respondent – ideally set to ID being unique.
- The second row is the day the survey was answered – can be set to Session being a detail related to the survey or Exclude if it is not needed in the cleaned version.
- The remaining rows – set to Demographics as these are related to the population.
The majority of the rows in the survey response file will be set to Response. Survey responses can require different operations:
- Changing the Question Text – this can be due to different reasons such as mistakes.
- Changing the Question Number – this can be due to exclusion of rows or even rows referring to the same question.
- Changing the name and order of the responses – in the below question the user was presented with options in a particular order and these changed on data import.
- Setting an option – this is used when different rows have the same question but a different option. In the below the option is a different habit.
After categorising all the questions and cleaning the project, you will be able to either view some automated visuals within Cleanly itself or else download the cleaned data file to use it in a data reporting tool.
Cleaned file in Microsoft Power BI
The cleaned file generated via Cleanly can be downloaded and used in any data reporting tool. This functionality allows the user to create data manipulations on the available data. Following this process, the user can create any data visualisations of choice in order to understand the data better and extract possible insights. One major advantage of data reporting tools is that reports are interactive with the help of filters.
The above visualisation is an interactive report that has:
- 1 card – showing the total number of respondents
- 4 filters (sliders, checkbox) – Age, Height, Weight and Gender which correspond to the demographics in our cleaned survey response
- 4 charts (pie, donut, bar chart) – showing the responses of 4 of our survey questions